Blog

I started uploading Halloween ASCII art to the shop on Zazzle. I soon discovered long art, like this one, does not work well on most items/ products. So, I will work on making things taller instead. But, for the Halloween village, longer is still the best. Like most things, having a shop is a learn as you go thing.
Found this posted on a PhotoBucket account. Artist seems to be Rose Cao, using "|2C" as her artist initials/ mark. The lily needs to be fixed up with a fresh screen shot. (This is how it was posted on the site). Most of the ASCII art does not have artist initials but as I looked farther I did find them.
Even though my 'ldb' is still included the poster on this site gave credit to another artist, mistakenly. It happens when someone is a little careless, or not careful enough. From there it moves on in time and the original artist is unclear and very likely it will end up posted by 'anonymous' artist because that's easier than trying to find the original artist. It must happen this way for all kinds of art. In time it is impossible to know who created anything. The individual is lost but, it is nice, that their creations remain.
Before I read the post I thought it was going to be about trying different fonts for ASCII art. I still like my version. I can imagine making the same one line text art using endless varieties of fonts and then picking the best from them. It would make an interesting project, maybe just a bit too time consuming.
Originally, I published this on HubPages. But, due to their rules I have decided not to post any of my own ASCII art there now. (They don't want any watermarks or other artist credits on the image). So, here for posterity, if nothing else, is that post fromĀ 08/25/11.
I began making my own ASCII Art in 1998 on Usenet. We had a good group of ASCII artists and those who just enjoyed seeing the creations on alt.ascii-art. You can still read the old newsgroups, now part of Google Groups. I don't remember what my very first ASCII art creation was. I know it was disappointing. I wanted to create something beautiful and elegant. Instead it was choppy looking and clunky. But, I didn't give up. Thanks to the others in the group who didn't let me think I couldn't do it. After awhile I began making ASCII art dragons. These were not big dragons and they were not quite the dragons I wanted to create. I had planned to make more of them but, life changes and the ASCII art dragons got left on a back burner. I may yet work on finishing them. I had planned to create ASCII art dragons for each holiday, at least one a month.